18 Jul 22

Sermeus appointed MD of Astara Western Europe

Sermeus appointed MD of Astara Western Europe

Olivier Sermeus (pictured) has been appointed Managing Director of Astara Western Europe, the company’s global HQ has announced. The appointment is effective immediately. Mr Sermeus succeeds Damien Heymans. The change of personnel marks a change in Astara Western Europe’s ownership structure. 

In 2020, Astara, a Spain-based vehicle distribution giant, acquired 60% of Alcomotive, a Belgium-based importer of such brands as Suzuki, Hyundai, MG and SsangYong into Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Germany and Poland. Alcomotive was rebranded Astara Western Europe. Astara has now agreed to acquire the remaining 40% of Astara Western Europe.  

“We are deeply grateful to Damien Heymans who did a notable job in the past for Alcomotive and more recently for Astara Western Europe,” said Jorge Navea, CEO of Global Astara and Board President of Astara Western Europe.

Mr Sermeus is not a newcomer to the company. He has worked for the group since 2009, and had been COO since 2020. His one clear objective as MD of Astara Western Europe is to manage the disruption in the automotive industry and exploit mobility services and business opportunities. He will report to Rafael Sainz, Chief of Astara Distribution Europe.

Astara has a presence in 17 countries across Europe, Latin America and Asia Pacific, with over 230,000 vehice sales per year, representing 30 car brands. The company is forecast to hit a turnover of €5.5 billion in 2022. Astara Western Europe, for its part, has an annual turnover of about €485 million.

Image: Astara Western Europe

Authored by: Frank Jacobs